Haines Conveyancing Service

Common Questions

What’s the difference between a conveyancer and a solicitor?

A conveyancer is a professional who specialises in the transfer of property. Whilst many solicitors are able to undertake conveyancing work, they often do not specialise. Solicitors usually charge significantly more than conveyancers for providing what is essentially the same service.

What is a Section 32 statement?

A Section 32 (or Vendors Statement) is a statement that must be attached to every contract for the sale of land in Victoria. It merely sets out for any prospective purchaser various details about the property so that the purchaser may make an informed decision before buying.

What are disbursements?

During the course of the conveyancing process, there are various out-of-pocket expenses incurred by your conveyancer. These expenses include things such as title searches and council and planning enquiries which are known as disbursements.

At Haines Conveyancing, the standard disbursements associated with all conveyancing transactions are included in the price quoted for your conveyancing; so in almost all cases, you will know exactly how much your conveyancing will cost before we even begin.

What about Stamp Duty?

If you have a bank or other lender assisting with your finance, they will attend to the payment of stamp duty for you (out of the total amount they are lending you).

If you are not borrowing any money for your purchase, then we will advise you of the amount of money that you need to make available for stamp duty and will attend to the payment stamp duty on your behalf, when required.

I’m Selling. What do I need to tell my bank?

We will look after all matters requiring your bank’s involvement. Just let us know which bank holds your mortgage, and we will do the rest.

What do I need to do to get started?

Contact us.

If you are selling, all we need is a council rates notice and water rates notice for the preparation of your Section 32 statement, as well as any building permits or approvals that may have been issued for recent construction work that has been carried out on your property.

If you are buying, all we need is a copy of the contract and we will take it from there!

What are adjustments?

When you buy (or sell) a property, council and water rates (and body corporate fees if there is a unit or apartment involved) are shared between the buyer and seller according to when the buyer actually takes possession of the property. This process of apportioning rates is known as ‘making adjustments’.

What happens at settlement?

Settlement is the moment when all of the documents and money required to complete the transaction change hands.

Settlement is usually completed in an online workspace where the buyer’s and the seller’s conveyancers, as well as any banks that are involved oversee the transaction.

You do not have to attend a settlement or be present at the bank or conveyancing firm at this time. We will contact you after settlement to let you know that everything has been completed.

How much do we charge?

Contact us for a competitive quote.